Re: [tor-relays] Tor Exit Relay CPU Usage Running at 100% for 1 MB/s on FreeBSD

On 3/11/19, Neel Chauhan <neel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have set up two exit relays on a FreeBSD 12.0 dedicated server:
> Looking at my top stats, I get CPU usage of 100% most of the time
> (meaning 95% of the time) on both instances pushing around ~1 MB/s with
> both instances.

> HP Blade single Intel Xeon L5520 CPU with 16GB of RAM.

4 core HT 2.26GHz 32k/256k/8M-shared DDR3-800 x64 60W
Nehalem from 2009 without AES... a 1st gen i7.

Not having AES will impact things but said 8-16Mbps there should
be trivial unless you're also busy crunching tons of key exchanges,
connections, circuits.
Running x32 lernel on x64 hw isn't good.
Busy ZFS on x32 can be slow but tor doesn't abuse disk.
Check power / cpu / thermal management on blades too.
Tor from 'latest' pkg repo should be fine.

Other than that, not enough info.

You're going to have to play around with top's thread / io / cpu
modes (hit '?'), netstat, vmstat, systat, gstat, sockstat, ps, etc...
see whats going on.