Re: [tor-relays] Problems with firewall rules

Hu ludo0565,

On 05/08/2016 11:06 PM, ludo0565@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Unfortunately whereas I haven't changed anything to the configuration of
> my computer, my tor relay doesn't work any more!

It sounds like you exchanged the router. By default, the local computers
are not directly exposed to the Internet: the box that connects to the
Internet filters incoming requests. Also, the router cannot know by
itself which computer inside the local network is the "target" computer
for new incoming connections -- all of them share one public IP address.
Most routers allow outgoing traffic just fine, and keep track of where
to forward replies to, but a Tor relay needs to receive "new" incoming
connections. For this, you need to configure your router to do "port
forwarding": one port, the port you configured your Tor relay to listen
on, needs to be forwarded to the local IP address. You would usually do
this via the admin web interface. All of them are a bit different, you
need to look for a guide for your model.
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
has a lot of them listed.

Hope this helps!
--