Re: [tor-relays] Tor version on Debian Wheezy (oldstable)

On 2017-05-17 17:04, Cristian Consonni wrote:
Hi,

On 16/05/2017 01:52, Roger Dingledine wrote:
For those of you who are not on tor-announce... now would be a good
time to remember to subscribe to tor-announce. :)

I run a couple of relays with Debian 7 Wheezy, which is the old stable
version.

AS you can see from the Debian package page[1] the latest available
version of Tor packaged for Wheezy is 0.2.4.27-3, which to me looks
quite behind either 0.2.5.12-4 available in Jessie (stable) or the
0.2.9.X series available through backports or testing.

What's the best to do in this cases?
* Should I start updating tor manually?
* Should I update Debian on the server? (which could well me start with
a fresh install?
* Is it ok like it is now, provided that the system is updated?

Thanks,

Cristian

[1]: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=tor

Hi,

I'm also running tor on wheezy : Currently running  v0.2.9.9.

To ease your life in remaining up to date, you can as well get tor from the Tor Project itself, by using this apt config file :

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list
deb     http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org  wheezy main

Hope this helps

--