Re: [tor-relays] Upgrading a relay and changing IP address

> On 18 May 2017, at 21:15, Cristian Consonni <cristian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> One thing that will change with a fresh install is the IP address of the
> nodes. So, I was wondering, in general is a good thing to keep the same
> IP or changing it? Because in any case, I could try and do a
> dist-upgrade[2] so that I keep the old IP. I have also discovered now
> that DigitalOcean, one of the providers I use, provides a
> kernel-management interface[3] that could make the process easier.
>
> So, which is preferable between the two processes where one has the
> advantage of keeping the same IP (dist-upgrade) and the other not (fresh
> install)?

It doesn't matter: if your IP address changes, the directory
authorities will take an hour or so to check your relay's reachability,
and then it will get back its flags and weight over the next week or
so.

If your relay is a fallback directory mirror[0], please keep the same key,
IP address, and ports. You can check that here[1] or here[2] (large page).

[0]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/FallbackDirectoryMirrors
[1]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/fallback_dirs.inc
[2]: https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health.html

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)