Re: [tor-relays] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

> You're wrong, OpenBSD's documentation (and other BSDs' too) is
> awesome. I learn to use Unix systems with OpenBSD.

I never said the docs are bad - one of my previous emails mentioned
how great the man pages are. What I meant was that there are less
wizards, tutorials, guides, and autoconfigs - you're responsible for
actually editing raw /etc config files and understanding what you're
doing.

> You have to find OS vulnerabilities when the sysadmin does the job
> correctly. You think that all the relays have their (for instance)
> sshd configured correctly? (like PermitRootLogin set to no, no
> password and so on). And that's only one daemon.

This is indeed a problem. I'm actually working on a website to
identify these vulnerabilities, warn operators of them, and show
people how to fix them. OpenBSD does come with more sane default
options for these kinds of things, though. For example,
PermitRootLogin is set to no by default if you add a user during install.

> What? One of the point of OpenBSD is to provide a correct
> documentation. The only problem is people asking for stuff which is
> already written down in the FAQ or in the man page.

Ad hoc guides aren't documentation, though. Everything is already in
the FAQ and man pages. What we're discussing is a more specific and
user-friendly guide.

Libertas