Re: [tor-relays] Re-installed Tor relay node as exit node with same name, different OS.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:50:16 -0800, Libertas <libertas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did you restore the relay's secret identity key when reinstalling?

No, that's the part I flubbed.

If you backed up your Linux system, you can restore the key from there.

Linux system was buried somewhere in the cloud

If not, that's fine, you'll just have to wait a little while
for your new relay to build up consensus weight. This might even be a
good thing, as you have forward secrecy (in terms of identity) if your
Linux install was compromised.

Interesting bit about consensus weight. I like the 'forward secrecy' aspect of just waiting it out.

* More specifically, this is /var/lib/tor in Linux and
/usr/local/lib/tor in OpenBSD by default, IIRC.

Thanks, I'll take note of that for any future migrations.