Re: [tor-relays] Fast Exit Node Operators - ISP in US

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 16:35:18 -0800, I <beatthebastards@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So USA can be fast and cheap but beware when they agree Tor is acceptable because there are poor trade practices laws to get refunds and rights.

FWIW I spun up a Tor exit node on VULTR. I pro-actively informed them I was doing so by creating a support ticket with this text:

"Just giving you guys a heads up that I've setup a new Tor exit node.

It's using the ReducedExitPolicy detailed here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy

The reduced exit policy has been successful in eliminating the vast majority of DMCA complains according to this Tor blog post:

https://blog.torproject.org/running-exit-node

If there are any complaints about traffic from this node, please alert me immediately so I can deal with them. I have a dedicated email setup for this purpose at tor@xxxxxxxxxx

Regards,
Seth"

The response was a simple "Thank you for the update."...so they seem pretty cool about it.

If you look at https://torstatus.rueckgr.at/ you'll see a half dozen other nodes running on VULTR.

The starter $5/mo size gets you 1000GB of bandwidth per month, can't beat that with a stick.

Another thing I like about VULTR is that you can install your own custom OS via an ISO or iPXE script. Also none of that fixed kernel nonsense I dealt with at Digital Ocean. And they accept Bitcoin.

That fact that thousands of average joe sysadmins can now spin up a powerful Tor relay or exit node, on the operating system of their choice, for $5/mo payable in Bitcoin...I think that's a big deal.
--
Seth
I <3 nicely trimmed email replies