Re: Tor partially blocked in China; change your relay's IP address?

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 04:23:10AM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-partially-blocked-china
[snip]
>  I did a scan last
> week from inside China, and I've put the result for your IP address up
> at http://freehaven.net:8081/2009-09-24/<IP>
> e.g. http://freehaven.net:8081/2009-09-24/128.31.0.34
[snip]
> So if it's hard for you to get a new IP address, I recommend waiting
> until at least next week. But if you have plenty to spare (or you're
> on a cable/DSL system that will give you a new IP address if you just
> poweroff your cable modem for a while), then now would be a fine time
> to switch to a new one.

Hi folks,

All quiet on the Eastern front. If you've been waiting to get a new IP
address, and you're interested in doing so, now would be a fine time to
do it.

Note that it's also useful for exit relays that are filtered to switch
IP addresses, since right now nobody can reach Chinese websites from you.

> Remember that if you're on a multi-homed computer and moving to a
> non-default IP, you will want to set both Address and OutboundBindAddress
> in your torrc.

And this remains smart advice.

Thanks!
--Roger