Re: [tor-relays] About TBB downloadings

On 10/16/2014 04:21 AM, Lluís wrote:
> In the web page here:
>
> https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en#warning
>
> advises us not to
> "... open documents downloaded through Tor while online"
>
> Many technical manuals and scientific papers are written in
> pdf format, and I usually read them.
>
> So my question is:
>
> Is it safe to download them with TBB first and then
> open them with, say, "Document Viewer" ?
>
> Where can I find more information about it ?

You can also use the Whonix VMs. There are two Debian VMs in VirtualBox.
One serves as a Tor gateway (with multiple app-specific SocksPorts, not
just TransPort). The workspace VM can only reach the Internet via Tor,
so nothing can leak. If the gateway VM is down or broken, the workspace
VM has no Internet access.

The Whonix wiki has tons of information about all of these issues.