Re: [tor-talk] Thunderbird, GMail and Tor - is it safe?

@Joe   Thanks a lot for the info!

I do use Enigmail quite often, but the problem is the usual, a relatively small proportion of my contacts (read friends and family) care about privacy and encryption... what can I say, it's a work in progress!

It's reassuring to know that the SSL is working through TOR. Then the only thing I have to worry about is how sensitive the message is for the rest of the Internet!

@cmeclax-sazri   I remembered that I forgot to paste the headers after I sent the original e-mail, but I got a similar output. I assumed that
"(version=SSLv3 cipher=AES128-SHA)" meant that that was the encryption used between my computer and the GMail server.

Truth be told, GMail has become a lot more bitchy recently with newly created accounts, especially through Tor, demanding everything from Captchas to mobile phone confirmation... so the last few burner accounts I've created through Tor were on Yahoo. All of the Gmail addresses I use were created years back, and they still bug me occasionally when I use the webmail (after accessing it through VPNs and Tor). But I haven't had any problems at all accessing both GMail and Yahoo through IMAP, regardless of the location, VPN or Tor...

Might sound redundant, but all of my GMail accounts run on imap.googlemail.com:993 and smtp.gmail.com:465; Yahoo runs perfectly through imap.mail.yahoo.com:993 and smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465. I used the configuration instructions for Thunderbird from here.