Re: [tor-talk] Any problem installing TBB & Vidalia bundle on same machine?

On Aug 14, 2011, at 8:07 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:

> On 8/14/2011 12:30 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 05:34:08PM -0500, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>>>   But, still like to know if can
>>> install both vidalia bundle&  Tor browser bundle at same time (even if
>>> not running at same time).
>> Installing both at once is no problem -- TBB doesn't require any
>> "install", so there's nothing to conflict.
>>
>> But running both at once won't work currently: the Tor in each of them
>> tries to bind to the same ports, so the first one to run will win and
>> the second one to run will lose.
>>
>> We're actually trying to fix that so they can be run together though.
>> Keep an eye on upcoming TBB announcements.
>>
>>> Like you, I might have other apps I want to run thru Tor, but don't
>>> necessarily want Tor browser open.
>> I agree. I wonder if we should come up with some option in the TBB
>> Vidalia 'advanced' window, along the lines of "don't close TBB when
>> Firefox closes".
>>
>> Vidalia is working on a plugin approach, so for example that checkbox
>> might become an option in the "TBB panel" in Vidalia.
>>
>> --Roger
> something like an option / preference "don't close TBB when Firefox closes" sounds like a solution.  Technically, it'd be "don't close Tor / Vidalia" wouldn't it, because "TBB" includes Tor?
> Firefox in TBB is dependent on Tor, but Tor (in TBB) doesn't necessarily have to be dependent on Firefox running.
>
> Installing both, & running one, shutting it down, starting the other is doable, but kinda pain.

Alternatively, as a hackish fix, you could modify your "permanent" installation to bind to ports that won't conflict with TBB. Off the top of my head, I think you'd want to pick non-default values for ControlPort and SocksPort in your torrc (with matching values in Vidalia), as well as a non-default value for proxyPort in Polipo's config file, and changing socksParentProxy (also in Polipo's config file) to point to the new value you've given to torrc's SocksPort.

I don't have TorButton to fenangle with on this computer, but I'm sure somewhere in its options or in about:config you can change the port it looks for Polipo on, or plug it directly into Tor's socks port if you're not using Polipo.

The ultimate goal here is to have your "permanent" installation of Tor/Vidalia/Polipo/Firefox/Torbutton use a completely different set of ports than TBB. Like I said, hackish, but the result should be worth it if you use both often.

~Justin Aplin