[tor-talk] Hidden services for mundane things (was: Re: Pirate Linux)

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 17:53 -0400, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 02:38:37PM -0600, akarmn@xxxxxxxxx wrote 4.4K bytes in 107 lines about:
> : Ya its not just the Live CD aspect of it. But also, people aren't going to
> : use Tor 24/7. So if all internet traffic goes through Tor, that could turn
>
> That's just your assumption. I use tor 24/7 when I travel; or said
> another way, I only use tails when I travel because I don't trust the
> networks at hotels, conferences, and places I visit. I also use
> hidden services heavily to do mundane things like login to servers,
> check mail, git, etc even when not traveling.
>
> I may also be an outlier from the general population.

Is there a reason for doing this over a hidden service instead of just
Tor? I use a hidden service to check if my home server is reachable, but
if I'm on a network I don't trust (which is most of them) I just connect
to things through Tor.