[tor-talk] de-anonymization by correlating circuit changes

Hello,

The last days, i discovered this problem by using tor: According to
the specification, every TOR circuit is used for 10 minutes. AFter
this time, a new one will be choosen.

Many Providers have to log some Packets passing their networks
(e.g. in Denmark every 500th IP-packet has to be logged.) First, I
thought, thats not a problem for TOR, because nearly always more
then one are using one server.

Bute if every users circuit has its own lifetime, you could very
easy detect: At time X there are no Packets from IP x.x.x.x (viewed
Website e.g.) anymore, and also no Packets to IP y.y.y.y (another
TOR relay). You can also see: At time Y, IP x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y
occour the first time (simultaniosly), so you know, they belong
together.

It would be much better, if every TOR relay would decide on its
own, to close all circuits on the same Time - then you could
corelate the time, because all Circuits are stopped/startet on the
same time.

I tried to finde out, how this works in reality:

It was very strange, my TOR client sometimes uses a new circuit
after only 5 minutes, sometimes after 4, sometimes after 7 for
example. It would be nice, if someone could explain me this,
thanks!