Re: [tor-talk] Fwd: Anonymous to attacks Hidden Wiki and othershiddenservice

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 01:46:13PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> On 2011-10-24 13:34 , hikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [..]
> > The problem is that they're using denial of service attacks to overload the
> > servers, and parts of the Tor network as a result. Tor doesn't seem to
> > handle this very well.
>
> The internet does not handle (D)DoS attacks either.

Don't know what the internet is, but if you speak BGP on the Internet
you can always nullroute the target, or the origin network.

> > This takes down hidden services and nodes,
> > consequently censors Tor hidden services and makes several circuits halt. If
> > that isn't an attack on Tor, then I'm a fish with wings.
>
> Wow, you are a fish with wings and you can even write emails ;)
>

> DoS attacks by overloading a network are always possible and the only
> real solution to that is to add way more capacity than the adversary has.

That's the brute force way to do it. Smarter ways would be use
connectionless protocols, or use proof of work (like hashcash)
in order that using the network at high priority needs credits
which have to be earned by being a member in good standing (as
seen from other nodes).