Re: [tor-talk] Thoughts on Tor-based social networking?

On 10/27/2013 6:41 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
Hi Bill, Check out https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-August/thread.html#2558 including my response at the end https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-August/002575.html for the latest version of this answer. As for "Tor based secret identities that can accrue reputation", check out Nymble: http://cgi.soic.indiana.edu/~kapadia/nymble/ (and there are several other research groups with similar ideas). But nobody has deployed a Nymble-like service in a usable way, and also it's not clear that it would solve the types of problems you describe. --Roger

Thanks for the links, Roger. On the first thread, I agree with you that exit nodes should not be expected to analyze the unencrypted traffic to determine if behavior is acceptable. That's what NSA exit nodes are for :-p However, OpenDNS style filtering should be acceptable, IMO. It'd be a simple set of flags that each exit node says it supports or blocks, so it could be fairly simple for Tor users to route to an acceptable exit node. I would want the same flags for relay nodes as well. That would block some sites people don't want to redirect, such as porn sites - not that I have issues with porn. I just don't want to waste my bandwidth routing it.

However, that wont stop griefers. Nymble sounds like a step in the right direction to me. I would prefer to add a social networking component with reputations and a web-of-trust. That would allow anonymous users to have public secret identities, and I suspect that people would behave better in general if they needed to earn their peers' trust. Nymble would give servers a way to black-list Tor users, but that's only useful after griefers have struck. Requiring a specific trust or reputation threshold to allow Tor users access to a service might stop griefers before they strike. Users could have multiple secret identities in case they have different kinds of things they like to do on the Internet.

Bill