Re: [tor-talk] Why am I "sending" so much traffic when connecting to websites?

--- On Mon, 9/26/11, cmeclax-sazri <cmeclax-sazri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: cmeclax-sazri <cmeclax-sazri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Why am I "sending" so much traffic when connecting to websites?
To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, September 26, 2011, 11:05 AM

On Monday 26 September 2011 11:06:25 William Wrightman wrote:
> I was looking at the "bandwidth" graph in Vidalia and there was one thing I
> did not understand.
>
> I loaded three webpages (www.telegraph.co.uk), (www.wired.com/threatlevel),
> and (www.bbc.co.uk).  I received 6.7MB of traffic (which seems a lot but I
> guess not when everyone is using broadband) but what I found surprising was
> that I also sent 3.6MB.
>
> I have no idea why I would be sending so much traffic?
>
> I tried with a couple of other exit nodes and roughly got the same results.

The Telegraph has 331 images. Fetching each one requires that you send a
request for it. This request is expanded to a Tor packet, which is 586 bytes
including some overhead. That multiplies out to 194 kB. Then each of those
connections has to be opened and closed, which takes another two Tor packets
per connection. I'm not sure how that works out when many images are on the
same site.