Re: The New Board

Hello Mike!

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 14:57, capmikee@home.martnet.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 07:06:33PM -0500, Ronen Tzur wrote:
> > It now compiles, but is pretty unplayable, at least for me:  the
> > directional keys are not moving in the expected direction, and there's no
> > fire key.
>
> Right. The good news is, I think I just added that bug. I'll let you
> know when I've had a look at it.

Alrighty.

> > It looks very nice, although I haven't looked at it enough to understand
> > exactly how everything works, it does seem it should make the
> > implementation of Adept much easier than the old board.
>
> I hope so.
>
> Here's a quick summary of the way board.c works now:
:
:

> some other known bugs:
> ssp (slow sprite paint) doesn't work
> not all messages are displayed: at the beginning of the turn, the
> "light/dark plays" message is missing, and when messages should appear
> in sequence, only one can be shown.
> revive and summon elemental spells probably don't work.
>
> The biggest problem in my mind is the way messages are displayed. The
> message area is blanked at the beginning of every turn because it's
> not the result of anything. If messages need to be displayed in
> sequence (like "the wizard conjures a spell", "select a spell:") they
> can't because there's no queue for messages.
>
> Perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to implement a queue of messages, but
> I keep wondering if it would be better to have a queue for all types
> of output events (move cursor, display message, do ssp, do field

Hmph..  These things usually have a way of working themselves out in the end,
so I wouldn't worry too much..  ;-)

> battle). If that's something you want to implement in your general
> game framework, maybe it could be integrated with the board.

I've decided to put the 'general game framework' on hold for now.  Having seen
the extent of your changes to the board, I think there is no immediate or
practical need for such a rewrite now.

I think sometime soon I'd like to go on with the support for Adept.