Re: [bos-dev] implement Chinese?

llearch n'n'daCorna wrote:
You intend to use more than 16000 characters in the course of the game?
I can understand the language as a whole having more than that, but it's
not like the game uses extensive vocabulary...

Sorry, but this is Chinese... Each character represents mainly a meaning, the sound is somehow secondary to people here. They have more than 16k characters, and unfortunately you never really know which ones you need.

Imagine it this way: A program displays text graphically by grabbing words from an image. Every word in the original text file appears in a dictionary, and has page and line number assigned, so it can easily be looked up. Since page and line number are needed to address the right word, the program needs to scan the whole dictionary into a large image, even though it only needs about 150 words...

That's the problem here. 26 or a few more characters are easily addressed that way, but a few 10k... And this applies to at least Chinese and Japanese - Korean probably too... OK, Japanese could do with about 2k, but that's still a bit more than 26...

Looks like this is not easily solved...

Yah. I'm not suggesting that it is, nor am I involved in the coding end.
I was merely providing a response, since, er, the response seemed
obvious to me, and it wasn't like anyone else was saying much at the
time ;-]

Yeah, I didn't see much activity on the mailing list. Really bad, I like C&C, and BOS Wars is relatively close to it... Unfortunately, I'm not as comfortable with computer languages as I am with human ones, so each time I run into a problem like this, I'm pretty much stuck without help...

Regards,

Olaf