Re: [Computerbank] The future of Linux on the desktop

Mark,

> do this this and this as well... to get it to work," Don't get me
> wrong I like Linux but I don't see how any person can honestly say it
> doesn't have some way to go before it is ready for the general user,
> with no Linux experience.

I would agree - we seem to be at the other end of the spectrum to other
operating systems. That is to say we have a stable operating system that
is slightly user-unfriendly whilst the others have a user-friendly
operating system that is not really that stable.

> The OSS community prides itself  on how it is not limited to corporate
> decision from a higher power to be (read Gates) yet they cant get
> together and just make my scanner work when I plug it in, or just make
> my burner work.

I think that's a little unfair to be honest.

> Yes Linux has moved forward on the desktop, yes it is starting to make
> headway against other systems, but it does have a way to go

Companies such as the one I work for are starting to produce OEM
installed Linuxes; we provide the guarantee that the Linux we install
will work with all the components we sell with the computer. I see this
as a good step and a useful way to get Linux onto the desktop.

:-)