Re: [Computerbank] The future of Linux on the desktop

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:50:47 +0930, "David Lloyd"
<dlloyd@microbits.com.au> said:

> I would agree - we seem to be at the other end of the spectrum to other
> operating systems. That is to say we have a stable operating system that
> is slightly user-unfriendly whilst the others have a user-friendly
> operating system that is not really that stable.

Fair statement, I am using Linux as I am sick of the unstablity, so no
arguments from me there

> > The OSS community prides itself  on how it is not limited to corporate
> > decision from a higher power to be (read Gates) yet they cant get
> > together and just make my scanner work when I plug it in, or just make
> > my burner work.
>
> I think that's a little unfair to be honest.

Yes it may be unfair, and people like Jaymz and Grant (and others
involved in DTP) made my life easier when I installed Debian on my laptop
and my workstation and in no way am I ungrateful for the time and effort
these people put in, and also all the other programmers/coders/testers
ect have put in to Linux Distributions everywhere, but it is what I
belive to be true from my experiance with both debian and Redhat.. Please
someone prove me wrong, Ill gladly say Linux is easy to instal and all my
hardware worked without having to spend hours Recompling
Kernals/Configuring Files/Searching for howtos.... when it does just that

> > Yes Linux has moved forward on the desktop, yes it is starting to make
> > headway against other systems, but it does have a way to go
>
> Companies such as the one I work for are starting to produce OEM
> installed Linuxes; we provide the guarantee that the Linux we install
> will work with all the components we sell with the computer. I see this
> as a good step and a useful way to get Linux onto the desktop.
>
> :-)

Cool, what can you offer me interms of hardware/software combination's

At the moment I run a triple head workstation, no fancy 3d
acceleration,128mb RAM USB Scanner, Burner, I dont want really big
harddrives as I just save eveything to the file server so 10 gig is way
to big but you cant go under that realy :) 100mb Zip drive internal,  As
for software it needs to connect to the windows domain I am on, as this
is where I store all my bits and bobs, graphics isnt a problem as I have
been using GIMP for win for a while now, Visual on screen representation
of system sounds as I am deaf....

How much am I looking at, Ill supply the monitors as I have 3 here all
ready on my current system
--
  Mark "Zaney" Clohesy
  Aurally Challenged Australians

This email and any attachments may be confidential.  Any disclosure,
use, storage or copying of this email without the consent
of the sender is strictly prohibited.

Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the
intended Recipient and then delete the email from your
inbox and do not disclose the contents to another
person, use, copy or store the information in any medium.