Re: Proposals and information

Comments on Ken's post re:

> In summary, I think the computerbank document should be tweaked to remove distracting details. I would edit it thus:
>
> Remove the paragraph about what we will or will not accept and other stipulations on what we take. Those are details and will have to be enforced at the time of donation if at all, or we just allocate a larger skip.  In particular remove the 'radiation vibes' thing, it
reads unscientific.

Okay sounds fair enough...

I put the radiation vibes in b/c as a person who reacts strongly to
radiation and lighting I can not stand to sit in front of an old
computer with terrible monitor - it feels like my head is being pulled
towards the screen

a deviation yes...but it does sound unscientific yes.

> The advertising thing may be in conflict with public sector support. Also the Internet Web business is dubious. I'd drop those.

It could be yes - but in today's economic rationalist government selling
everything over to private industry times - we may be forced to support
ourselves over the longer term. I just thought that perhaps this could
be a way to do it. Any other suggestions? But yes they are in conflict
and do detract from the goals. The fee thing is a delicate area as some
people just wont be able to pay anything for a computer...maybe they
would fork out $50 or other smallish amount a year for limited ISP
service...but you never can tell.

> I believe equipment is actually the least of our hurdles. You will not believe some the useful stuff I find in tips. The main hurdles will be enough people to help. Witness TAD with 500 computers and not enough helpers.

A campaign amongst news groups might help...I have some people
expressing wishes to help in Melbourne.

Which is why reverse computer envisaged assembly line and
> automated software installation techniques to make effective use of volunteers' time. Another kind of volunteer needed are people to teach users.

Certainly we need a technical team and a community development team for
long term. Technical team could be for technical aspects etc, whilst the
CD team could be for  user training and donation seeking and picking up
etc, maintaining web pages and could be used for testing systems. I may
be able to get some other students from uni to help out here, and a
while ago Melb Uni student union said they were interested in helping...

 >That is why computerbank should enlist other organisations and
individuals to address the user handholding aspect. We tend to assume,
as computer literate people, that computers are easy with one hand
holding a guide and another on they keyboard. A teacher friend of mine
can tell you different.

I think that other organisations would be willing to help - and now that
I am officially undertaking this project as a university credit my
lecturer (who is my supervisor) will be able to help tap us into these
kinds of places. And she can probably help a bit with the logistics of
government proposals and requests for funding. Maybe.

> And while we are pursuing high-level support, we can start in a practical way. My friend knows of some needy users and I know of some potential donors. Now we are looking for a place to refurbish equipment. Maybe his storeroom.

Yes this will also look good for gaining high level support...actually
as you do this you might want to consider getting some of the pc
recipients to comment on paper about the whole experience and ease of
use aspects - kind of like a user satisfaction survey. This may also
help with gaining high level support.

> Another fruitful place to try might be schools. I'm installing a Linux web proxy in a public school next week.

How did you go about convincing the Principal that this would be a good
thing? Are they keen on students actually using learning GNU/linux?

 In time I'll show them that other pieces of donated equipment could be
turned to use on their network in
> various ways.

This is excellent.

Sometimes in many cases organisations (eg: banks) have a system like
this established (eg: Westpac just gave 60 computers to Family Services)
They did however say that they may be interested in participating but
only if they had a say in where the computers went. Many schools seem to
get donations this way too. In the main part they dont know what to do
with them so the donations can get wasted and just end up collecting
dust. So the turning of that into a "learning network environment" would
be good for everyone all round.

Someone has emailed me with details of a government website that is very
useful for our purposes. If you have a look over the sites you will
notice that they give cash grants and funding to people promoting access
in the community and for other projects.

Check out

http://www.noie.gov.au/accessability/index.html

and

http://www.dcita.gov.au/text_welcome.html

Select communications and then go to the pull down menu and choose
networking the nation.

Cheers,

Kylie.