Re: [Computerbank] more standardised install discussion needed ASAP

> From:	romana <romana@timelady.com>

> Subject: [Computerbank] more standardised install discussion needed ASAP
>
> I would like to discuss quite urgently at the next meeting the issue of
> standardised installs. What has come up for CBSA on the weekend is:
> * Debate about BSD/Linux
> * Debate about KDE/Gnome
> * Questions about paticipation by all members in the decision making process
> * Role of potential Technolgy group as a method for participating and
> contributing to debates, and as a method to make recommendations to
> commmittee

s/standards/frameworks/

Not wanting to get into a debate over KDE/GNOME, BSD/Linux we should be
looking more at frameworks than locking ourselves into rigid standards.
Personally, on some of the hardware I've seen going around I would
recommend neither GNOME nor KDE (as a point in case). Sure you will have
GNOME / KDE installed but in low end hardware you shouldn't log into a
GNOME / KDE session. Other solutions for desktop environments present
themselves as being more suitable with the facility to run GNOME / KDE
apps, as required.

We also need to cater for regional strengths. If CBNSW finds itself full
of Debian skills, and little/no BSD then they would be silly to use BSD.
Converseley if CBSA has most of it's strengths in BSD then it would make
sense for them to cater to those strengths and run with BSD.

This is before we even get into the technical merits of the sampled
discussions (BSD/Linux, KDE/GNOME) we also have realise that is a matter
of horses for courses. An "institional" roll out would probalby be more
suited to KDE while individual or less structured installations may be
suited to GNOME due to the better suite of application available for
GNOME.

Perhaps before a debate begins on "what is best" we work out what we
want. We should break up our machines into classes, such as low end
workstation, high end workstation, network device, file server et al and
then determine what the requirements of those devices are. We can then
pick the tool(s) for the role based upon the criteria of what we need.

--

Cheers,
      Craige.

http://mcwhirter.com.au/