The Nexian connection

All,

Ok, thinking about story again I'm wanting to back off Kand as being
alien and  turn them into an estranged colony of the EU.  Recall that
I've significantly  lengthened the time scale of the tale....

So here's what I've got.  The war between the peeps and the EU gets
nasty with the peeps developing some sort of biological weapon.  The
scientist that develops it goes crazy, gets all schizophrenic, and
in a last dramatic fit goes around saying "Who's the enemy?  Who's
the enemy?"  Remember, he's going to murder billions of people with
his weapon.  So he attacks himself with the weapon, killing himself
(because he's the real enemy).  From there it spreads as an epidemic
throughout the peeps' empire, killing most of the citizens and
rendering numerous colonies estranged, including Nexus.  And since
Nexus was such a secret colony, no survivors on either side of this
war know about it.  For the most part, wiping out the empire.  It
also spreads into the EU, and Kand is a colony of the EU that gets
separated.  They were already politically oriented to revolt,
largely contesting the war between the EU and the other guys (I
forgot what commie name I dreamed up for the americans), so they
took the opportunity to split off and were able to prevent
contamination from the weapon.  So they continued to expand until
now they're a huge power.

Meanwhile, the EU has survived and remained spacefaring, although
some of its colonies were isolated from the main group, and they've
been trying to link them back up and have engaged in a war against
Kand to try to get the Kandelian empire back into the EU.  This war
will have started somewhat before the Kandelian invasion of Nexus,
and the Kandelians then discovered and invaded Nexus to get
resources to feed this war.

The Kandelians know their history back to 5000BC or whatever, from
earth.  The nexians do not.  The Kandelians do not know that Nexus
was formerly a peep colony.  So we have the original war they
protested in miniature, right here on Nexus, and neither side knows
that they're fighting an extension of the previous war.  (That
appeals to whatever small sense of artistic pleasure I've got)  (I
guess technically it's a completely new and different war, I'd like
to hammer the story a bit until it really is an extension of the=20
original war between the EU and the peeps)

The peeps survived in a few isolated colonies, some of which
maintained orbital flight but no interplanetary or interstellar
flight, with most falling back to medieval technology or at most
steam.  They disappear from the story because they're not important
to it any longer.

This gets us back to the advantage of having a human enemy, which
is mainly that there will be no biological incompatibilities
between Kandelian technology and Nexian soldiers.  So Kand can
outfit Nexians with their equipment without reeingineering, and as
soon as FNA takes Kandelian spaceships and armored infantry, tanks,
and so forth, they can immediately put it to use (provided they
know how to use it).

Thoughts?

Dave

--=20
Q:	How did you get into artificial intelligence?
A:	Seemed logical -- I didn't have any real intelligence.