Re: Transportation of units

On 09.04.2005 10:46, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:19:53 +0000
> Jens Granseuer <jensgr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Is there anything I can do to make you try current CVS... ;-)
>
> Who do you mean? Jonathan or me? ;-)
>
> All I described in my last mail is a concept I would put into practice. There
> might be differences to the current game. I didn't write it all in conditional
> form as it should have been because it was easier the other way round. ;-)

Both of you, then. Your description made me think you had already tried it. ;-)

> > For me, the loading dialog when moving transports
> > out of containers is an annoyance. I don't like it. I just haven't found
> > a better solution, yet. The way crystals are loaded is much less
> > intrusive and should stay as it is even if that means it's a little
> > inconsistent. It would make sense, however, to also allow, transferring
> > crystals in the loading dialog if it pops up anyway.
> > Crystals also differ from units in that they are not automatically
> > unloaded when entering a container.
>
> Be carefull with inconsistencies. According my experience those things stike
> back in future for sure. Sometimes it is better to review the concept and
> modify it in a way everything is in line again although it would be more work.

I agree with you in general. I'd just say we haven't found the right concept
for transferring units yet, so that's what should be revised. Or, to quote
William Blake: "To generalize is to be an idiot." ;-P

> > > But what about the volume? I think we make a mistake if we simply add
> > > all volumes. You wouldn't store empty boxes into your car. You would put
> > > thinks into it to save space, woudn't you?
> >
> > Oh, come on. Next you'll want to put the infantry into the
> > passenger seat of the scouts car or something. No really, that's a
> > little over the top.
>
> Hey, we are discussing a concept,  aren't we. :-) Nobody said that it should
> be done this way but to catch a glimpse about possible future extension
> doesn't do any harm or what do you think?. :-)

Yeah, well, mostly.

Anyway, it would be wrong. By just adding up the volumes you could manage
to insert an additional unit of heavy tanks by putting in more personnel
carriers. Think about it.

Jens