Re: Soundtrack question

On 21.08.2004 23:14, Dave Fancella wrote:
Does the music player support mod files? Specifically XM files, like what SoundTracker puts out? When last we discussed it, you had built in midi, ogg, and wav to the thing (if I remember correctly), but I don't recall if Crimson will play mod files.
Right now, no, it doesn't. But SDL_mixer supports both MOD and XM, so if
we get mods, Crimson Fields will play mods. :)

I ask because I'm working on a soundtrack for Armagetron, and they required mod files (and I *really* wanted to write a metal soundtrack for it), so now I'm working with mod files, so I figured when I do more for Crimson, it might make better sense to fool with mod files instead of midi for the same reason the armagetron guys wanted mod, midi is too unpredictable on different machines (because of the sound banks when playing midi natively rather than through a soft synth, like what we get in Linux). No ideas yet on what kind of sizes we're talking about, but those guys are a bit more flexible with size (that is, until they see what I've worked up, but there's plenty of room to work with).
Mods are the size of the WAV samples plus the tracks themselves similar
to midi. That means they are larger than midis but typically in the range
of 100-300k which is still fine. And they do have the advantage of sounding
the same everywhere.

Jens