Possible Contributions

Hi,

On Sa, 2005-01-08 at 17:29 +0000, Jens Granseuer wrote:

> I generally agree that we need help in the mapping and art departments

Yes, I can imagine that. Sometimes hacking is like artwork, but hackers
are not usually artists :-)

> more urgently than coders. If Sascha and Matthias are proficient in one
> of these areas I'd also suggest working on the non-coding matters first.

Proficient :-) No not really :-) ... but contributing in this field is
something we (matthias and me) have talked about. We are currently
having a deeper look into this area. For me sounds is absolutely not my
thing ... criticising them, ok, but creating ...

> But if they aren't, a little support in the coding department won't hurt,
> either.

To learn the code structure I mostly try to implement something very
small that's perhaps just useful for me.

I have now added a localized key command for toggling fullscreen mode (I
find later that there's already Alt-Enter).

Another thing is a mouse-over-popup with the information that is now in
the button on the bottom (Unittype, Strength, Rank). I will try to
implement this the next few days.

And then I want to scroll the map with just push the mouse at the edge
of the map window. Not yet clear if there is a way for this when in
window mode. (But in fullscreen I want this :-)

If you are interested I may send the patches to you or to the list.

> And there are a few things I'm not sure how to do (like network play)

I have thought about this a little bit. The simplest way may be to use a
simple socket an push the saved games files over like in e-mail games.

> or simply haven't gotten around to (like the file dialog), so it's not like

What's wrong with the file dialog?

> everything you could wish for is already there. Additionally fresh blood
> often brings in a few new ideas (while I hope they don't warm up too many
> old ones ;)) and that rarely is a bad thing.

Yes, I have already to read the archives :-) ... About the
fly-over-thingy I can agree with your statements about simplicity. It's
not just implementing the functionality, but rebalancing the maps is a
must too.

But said that I think it could be a very nice extension. Strategically.
And nowadays there are not too much maps that must be rebalanced. Ok,
not made enough thoughts about the whole thing.

Ok, just a few thoughts about what I and in some aspects Matthias may
contribute.

Bye, Sascha.