Re: UI: Enhance impassable terrain/damage indicator display

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:09:51 +0200, Dave Fancella <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Friday 01 July 2005 01:32 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
On 30.06.2005 17:22, Marko Skofljanec wrote:
> I have attached an illustration of the UnitInfoWindow. The impassable
> terrain (units cannot move on these) has a red border in addition to the
> darkend tile display. I think it already looks quite nice. Perhaps you
> can simply overlay the active unit cursor, so there's not much work.

The red border kind of negates the hex being shaded and thus makes it too
distracting, for my taste. Another idea might be to use the "unit done"
mark instead of the "unit active" cursor. That could work for the terrain,

I also think that the terrain should be either shaded or outlined/marked otherwise, but not both. The red dot would IMHO do the trick quite well.

probably less so for the combat window. Another thing we could try is to
simply make the shade a tad darker (that would probably work better for
the combat window, I think).

I'd suggest to lighten the fields in which the squad members are drawn a little bit and possibly darken the destroyed members. On LCD display it's quite okay already but I used to struggle deciphering how many units were killed in the fight on a CRT :-).

What's wrong with two panes, one that says "passable terrain" with the
modifiers overlayed on the terrain marker, and one that says "impassable
terrain"?

I like this idea. I think that there should be movement cost and possibly combat modifiers shown in the unit info window. Either overlayed as Dave suggested or somewhere below the respective terrain. You know, sometimes people aren't satisfied with statement like "units fight usually better in forests" :-).

Whew, I have just looked in the game data and found out that this statement would suffice :-). But I'd like to know the exact numbers without examining the sources :-).

Andrej