Re: And now, for something COMPLETELY different

On 27.03.2007 21:59, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> I made a patch for CF which enables maps that wrap around. That means that it
> is possible to "exit" the map on the left edge and "enter" on the right, or
> "exit" at top or bottom edge and "enter" at the opposite half of the map
> ("passing" across a "pole") - as if you are playing on a globe.
>
> Or I should rather say, it should be possible, as crimson usually enters an
> unending loop Path::FinalizePath but I'm not sure. (Note that the patch, of
> course, is not production-ready, there are no comments etc.)
>
> How do you like this and do you think it is worthy to pursue it further? It
> would enable playing on full-world map of Earth for example, and I have some
> more ideas.

I'm not sure. I'd say CF plays on a completely different scale (squads vs.
armies), so world map type play doesn't make much sense to me. If it was
trivial to add this option, I might not mind anyway, but as you already
found out yourself, coordinate wrapping (and all that entails) isn't quite
so trivial.

There is another aspect to it I've been pondering for a while now. We've
been adding more and more features (mainly in the form of events and
triggers), but I'd like to see some people actually making use of them
before adding much more.

Jens