Re: [f-cpu] Winograd DCT on my seul.org account

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Martin Devera wrote:
>> >About languages .. try http://tunes.org/Review/Languages.html
>> >devik
>> It doesn't help to compare languages. One has to learn
>> them anyway and only if you practice for quite some time
>> will the expertise build up. :-]
>
>I was not interested in pure compare. At the URL I found
>interesting info about each language regarding its suitability
>for concurent programing which is important for f-cpu IMHO.
>And also well written critique of C lang.
>
>Unfortunately C is too widely used and its codebase is still
>growing. It is probably good for things like kernel programing
>but seems to have still bigger problems with large userspace
>projects ..

Hi, I agree with your comment that C is not a good
language for large userspace projects. C was developed
as a language to implement an operating system and I
guess that's why you can also use it as a high level
assembler. To my experience C++ did not improve that
situation much but instead it enabled a developer to
disguise the true program meaning by the possibility
of redefinition of most of the constructs. In which
case you end up with source code that is unmaintainable
without the proper documentation. And by documentation
I mean including the whole conceptual thoughts behind
the program.

JG