Re: [f-cpu] Code hosting

Hi Yann,

On 04/13/2015 04:03 AM, whygee@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 2015-04-08 01:53, Nikolay Dimitrov a Ãcrit :
Hi gang,

Hello list and Nikolay,

sorry for the delay, i've been pondering this for a while.

So, some info on my side. Yann obviously is not a big fan of
version control systems, so I decided to set-up a group of public
repositories that can help us quickly share code, docs, hdl,
whatever is important. Here are my thoughts of how we can organize
the work-flow.

let me first say thank you :-)

No problem :)

The repositories are hosted on http://git.retrohub.org. I've just
committed and tagged the latest sources of the F-CPU manual, so we
can easily update and maintain it.

ok

I would like this to be accessible from a f-cpu.org subdomaine, like
code.f-cpu.org, contact me so we can arrange/configure that ok ?

Done.

The intent for all repositories is to have public read access via
HTTP/HTTPS/git. For write access, I think it would be better to
allow the repo maintainer to collect patches from the mailing list
and to apply them, having full control over the code quality in
the repo.

Code would be committed only if the whole passes all unit tests, so
a worflow must be set up.

Sure.

For example:

Repo: git.retrohub.org/f-cpu-hdl Maintainer: Yann Guidon Read
access: Everyone via http/https/git Write access: Maintainer only.
Contributors send patches to maintainer via mailing list (for
public review), and maintainer decides what to apply to his source
tree.

Maintainers of forked projects can send patches to the "parent"
maintainer. Or said in other words - if you have already
contributed to an open-source project, you will find the same
work-flow.

that looks fine :-) I suppose you can handle the configuration,
maintainance and all administration of this repo ?

It's not a big deal, I can handle it.

All contributions (code, documentation) need to be done as a real
person (name + email), as anonymous code won't be applied to the
project - we want people to be proud of their work, and we also
want to have clear auditable project history, to prevent the
possibility of adding backdoors to hardware/software (as much as
practically possible).

yup!

I'm still configuring the server and fixing small issues here and
there,
Can you keep us informed of the evolution ?

Yep.

but if someone needs to host a F-CPU-related project there and
needs access, please don't hesitate to write me, I'll do my best
to respond and help in reasonable time.
Great, thanks !

@Yann - I would be more than happy to help if you decide to host
the YASEP sources on this machine.

it's an offer I can't refuse. I'll submit code when I reach the next
milestones.

OK :).

By the way : Developping all that means I must first start with
rewriting/refactoring ygwm. So that's my priority now and it will
probably take some months to reach a barely workable state. Then the
YASEP and F-CPU modules will come and actual development will take
place.

Well, it's up to you how/when this will happen. I'm not pushing anyone :).

Furthermore, CÃdric suggests we use a dokuwiki and I consider
installing one on wiki.f-cpu.org. I like that it lets us create
non-structured notes and it would be pretty handy. We would use it
to gather informations, design justifications, there would be
extracts from the mailing list for later references, and stuff that
would later be integrated in other documents.

I agree. This will help to throw around notes and to combine them
together in a meaningful way.

@Cedric - speaking of documentation, are you still interested in working
on the F-CPU manual? I would be happy if you want this, and also I would
like to ask for permission to update the commit logs with your name (and
other authors, if available), as I'm not the original author of the
manual and I would like to give the proper credits.

So in the short term, we would have : f-cpu.org : for now, a start
page, with links to other stuff archives.f-cpu.org : old stuff from
before 2015, static storage, for reference. wiki.f-cpu.org :
dokuwiki, sandbox for ideas code.f-cpu.org : Nikolay's server

I'll try to move things away from seul.org too.

Any suggestion ?

Looks good for now.

Regards,
Nikolay