Re: OFF: ZIP vs GZ was:Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU vs ALPHA

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Ben Franchuk wrote:

> Andreas Romeyke wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Michael Riepe wrote:
> >
> > > They're more portable than .tar.gz -- not *everybody* uses Linux/Unix.
> >
> > I disagree. Gunzip + Tar are available for all possible platforms (unices,
> > amiga, atari, c64, winxx-PC, beos, Mac, etc.) Windows-User can use winzip
> > and
> > co.
> Yes but I want the old archive programs too - zip/unzip lha arc
> so when I show the great grand kids what kind of computers I ran
> as a kid I can load a dusty old cd-rom labeled CP/M 2003 and
> unarchive the programs found there.
> Ben.

But they all run under Linux! if you really want to live
that 'dusty old CD' stuff you have to get the source code
anyway because it's the only way!

It's available though... with Linux :-)

By the way, some bank companies relying on Windows programs
may run into these problems already today. Imagine you used
some Windows 95 stuff and some M**osoft tools to compute your
results and you have to backup and be able to re-compute
everything of the last 10 years...

That means to have about 5 generations of PCs working - ...
... - quite a museum though. :-)

JG