Rep:Re: Rep:Re: Re: [f-cpu] No latches, please !

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Michael Riepe <michael@stud.uni-hannover.de>
A: f-cpu@seul.org
Date: 15/02/02
Objet: Re: Rep:Re: Re: [f-cpu] No latches, please !

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 10:20:16AM -0700, Ben
Franchuk wrote:
> nicolas.boulay@ifrance.com wrote:
> >
> > That's not crazy it's called multiphased logic.
You
> > could use 2 or 4 clock phased to synchronise
things
> > but i imagine what a nightmarre it could be to
debug
> > and to test.
> >
> But it has two advantages ... 1) A latch is quicker
than
> a flip/flop. 2) You need less clock buffering.

A latch is quicker in terms of what? Delay time?
Setup time? Clock
frequency?

>>> yep delay time to cross them.

Latches have one big disadvantage: they can become
transparent. In a
pipeline, you don't want that (unless you're willing
to work with two
or more different clocks). But they are useful for
large memories (e.g.
the caches) where FFs would be too large. The
register set

>>>For large memory SRAM are much better !!

may be either
one; personally, I vote for FFs. IMHO there should be
no latches at all
in the core (caches excluded) -- otherwise, it would
be a complete mess.

>>>I completly agree !
nicO

--