Re: test (was: [f-cpu] No latches, please !)

Juergen Goeritz wrote:

> Other example: imagine a 500 processor cluster in an orbit
> around Jupiter at high rad doses (I love these examples :)
> 1/2 of your cluster sleeps to recover from radiation, the
> other half is operating. Before sleep you test, after sleep
> you test and during operation you test at regular intervals.

Nah... I would have the 500 cluster in orbit around the sun
running a anti-matter production plant using solar energy. Anti-matter
takes a hell a lot of energy to produce but could make inter-planetary
travel possible. The problem is that transistor size of modern logic is
it too small to not glitch or fry from radiation. A machine with a 250
ns
memory cycle and 1 Meg of ram could be a practical size and speed limit
for hard radiation. While I have not looked a 'Leon' I would expect to
have
error checking of some kind in the alu and memory circuits. That was one
advantage the old decimal machines had, error checking codes.A parity
bit
may be a good feature to consider with transistor sizes getting smaller
and the mean time between soft errors goes down.
--
Ben Franchuk - Dawn * 12/24 bit cpu *
www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk/index.html