Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU invited at the Libre Software Meeting

hello,

Lee Salzman wrote:

> > Last year, hundreds of Free Software developpers from all countries
> > gathered and organised conferences and meetings. This year,
> > F-CPU has a place because of its indirect impact on Free Software
> > and we could meet GNU developpers that could help port GCC for
> > example. I also hope that we will be able to make a big family
> > photograph of a large portion of the worldwide F-CPU team.
>
>     I thought I already ported GCC to the F-CPU? :)

i didn't mean to offense youn Lee :-) however, from the little
i know, there are still a lot of problems and unsupported, useful
features such as SIMD... There are many optimisation techniques
that F-CPU requires and that GCC is completely unaware of.

For example, the branches are treated with absolute or relative addresses
in GCC while F-CPU uses registers only. With the "hack" that i remember,
each branch requires a prefetch+branch, while in theory, the prefetch
is not always necessary : a part of the register is used to store the
"return stack" and other things, for example. Making GCC "understand" that
is not in my current list of things to do, otherwise i would have
to rewrite everything and i don't have enough time for that :-/

however, it's nice to read you again, Lee !
will you manage to come to Bordeaux this summer ?

> > WHYGEE
>
>     Lee Salzman
WHYGEE