Re: [f-cpu] statistics of direct indexing usage

hi !

ben franchuk wrote:

devik wrote:

Hi,
only quick result I just got. I tested with large source file
(combine.c from gcc) and tried to see what if I add load/store
with immediate offset to F-CPU ISA.

Considering more people will be using user aps like
browsers and viewers and word processing would that
be a better test of the cpu for profile statistics?
nope. These "user apps" are usually slow by nature.
now, a lot of things in Mozilla are done by JAVA stuffs,
so nobody is surprised, and the OS overhead (locks,
network, threads) plays another role.

However, the "average user" will want smooth streamed video
and sound : making load/store more complex will reduce
the overall efficiency of the processor (Read Patterson & Hennessy)
and slow down the "multimedia" software which are usually
nicely optimised....

Frankly, i see the 10% "overhead" as marginal,
i thought it would be more. Much more
could be gained by making the compiler smarter :-)

Ben.
YG