Re: [f-cpu] x86-64 long article

Yann Guidon <whygee@f-cpu.org> a écrit :

> hi !
>
> (maybe we can go to the francomoule's tribune ?)
>
> Michael Riepe wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 01:01:27AM +0100, Yann Guidon wrote:
> >[...]
> >>>
> >>was it ever away ?
> >>

> >Haven't heard from it for a long time...
> >

> i don't like to speak about things that drive people crazy :-)

:) If you want more than 8 fcpu in a single machine use multicore chip ! :)

> >>Or somebody found the way to multiply the number of pins
> >>without exploding the F-Chip's cost ?...
> >>

> >I still prefer high-speed serial links.
> >
> we can't access this technology, or the die's price climbs.

???? N'importe quoi ! (Irgenwas ?)

The lvds link run ar 600 Mhz/pin. 1Ghz will be soon reach. 10 Ghz is plan. We can use this for connecting F-cpu like Athlon 64 does (no big and fat routing chip that cost a lot and add latency like a northbridge in PC chipset).

But technology like hypertransport could be cheaper because you could reuse a lot of test material and module done for it. "Standard" is always cheaper.

> > Something that's compatible
> >with one of the existing serial "buses" would be even better. But...
> >

> yep, you named it.
> eing compatible with Intel and other has some risks ....

The foundry will have to pay the licence but it could be cheaper that create all new design for such bus.

> >>Well, i have thought for a long time about an oversampled synchronous
> >>communication path.
> >>But the maths behind it are too tough for me :-(
> >>

> >Hmm... what exactly do you have in mind? Dump your brain to my
> >standard input, please :)
> >
> But not in public.
> It's an old idea (3 or 4 years ?)
> but i want to be the first to find the solution ;-)

You want to create digital modulation put in a wire ? LVDS + data driven transfert (the clock came from  the sender and not from a global clock so you could manage the jitter) do a pretty well job at 1 Ghz ! And it don't need modulation/demodulation module to be used.

nicO