Re: [f-cpu] Branding in Germany

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:37:15PM +0900, Kondo, Toko wrote:

> There are several steps to the process, the trademark is the only the name
> and symbol attached to the product. The patent itself can be futher secured
> by an industrial patent which covers esthetics. I believe that's the name of
> it. Patents can be registered via the PCT office which governs regional
> issues. Registration is relatively cheap. The search of "prior knowledge" is
> expensive. This is necessary for a "strong patent" Shortfalls of the
> proceedure usually crop up in defining the scope of the patent. Each
> addition to the patent also has a nominal fee. Time limits extend to about
> 18 months for the search.

We're not going to do *that*, are we?  We don't want to play the "making
lots of profit out of intellectual property" game.  Our game is called
"freedom", and the rules are different.  That means: no patents.

> If I could write your code I would, but what I can do, and what should be on
> your mind is securing a marketplace to proxy in some dollars. This I may be
> able to help in. However at a time and place.

If "securing a marketplace" means taking away the freedom of others --
in particular, the freedom to use, modify, and redistribute the F-CPU --
I just say: "no, thank you".