Re: Rep:[f-cpu] Another proposition for a call convention

Christophe wrote:

> R60 : return adress
> R61 : global pointer
> R62 : Frame pointer
> R63 : stack pointer
(snip)
> Are you speaking about frame pointer ? the only real purpose of frame pointer
> is to help for debug but in a release we don't really need a frame pointer.
> Unless it is the case for IA32 for example, and I'm quite sure for most other
> CPUs too. There is no real reason to get rid of it nor to be forced to use it.
> So I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I think pascal needs a base pointer for stack frames as well as a frame
pointer.
With languages that use objects like C++ you could have a lot of hidden
pointers
used for message passing and indirect function calls.
--
Ben Franchuk - Dawn * 12/24 bit cpu *
www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk/index.html