Rep:Re: [f-cpu] Where I can put my asm code

Don't forget to put your licence with it (GPL !).

But i answer your question here it could interrest lot of people :

1) What distance should be used for prefectch (how many cycle beteween a
prefetch and the effective load)

It depend, if you're in cache no need for it (you lose a cycle for
nothing). If it's not in cache you could take 150-200 cycle. But if the
distance is too small, depending of the implementation, you could also
lose one cycle (because the underlying system didn't find the adress in
cache and relaunch a read to the DRAM). If it's too far, the data should
have been trash by another data.

Then trash or not and cache hit or not depend on the cache type (size
and associativity) so it depend on the effective memory adress of the
manipulated data. That's why i didn't like prefetch...but preload.

2) Usualy a prefetch is a "silent load" so it behave the same for the
cache. A cache miss will generate a complete cache line load. The VM of
cedric will be used to calibrate such things (size of the line...).

3)There is no asm finish yet, so there is no common interface for macro,
as far as i know.

4)So ASM didn't try to mix instruction to hide latency. Before writting
such assembler, a dumb one should be finish.

I hope i have miss nothing.

nicO