[f-cpu] Re: Prototyping machine

hi,

Martin Devera wrote:

Yann Guidon wrote:

Sorry for not having time to chat...
i don't know if my last posts made it to the list.
just in case, my last toy is shown there :
http://whygee.club.fr/ikos/index.html

these are "old" XC4036XL FPGAs, with not much power,
but a huge amount of interconnect and some sync SRAM
dedicated to each chip. this will be quite funny for a
reverse-engineering project.

YG

I find no post in list last week :)

so i don't know if they were ever sent by the server :-/

Regarding these boards, there seems to be 5x64 FPGAs (quite impressive).

right.

Each FPGA has 1296 CLBs - 2600 LUTs. It is total of 829.440 LUTs.

so says the datasheets. It's a 36*36 array so it fits 32-bits stuffs easily. the LUT/RAM option is cool too.

XC3S1000 has 1920 CLBs - 15.360 LUTs,

do you use it ?

so that your board is certainly excelent testing platform.

sure ! <evil grin>

If you identify how programming pins are connected,

i have the pinout from the datasheets.

you might download special configuration into all fpgas which will allow
you to scan its neighbours.  I guess it is in serial daisy chain mode.

no need for config, plain-old-JTAG does the job. i know of a good algo that can rebuild the whole board's netlist in limited time (minutes at most). though :

But there is other, major problem. The ISE WebPack doesn't
support it but ISE Classic does - don't know how to get it
from their site however :)

that's certainly a problem...

The other problem is ...
Only the main board (equipped with 13* XC4036XLA and 8*XC4062XLA,
plus some old SDRAM) can be hacked. I don't have access to all the pins
of the BGAs of the other boards (there is access to some vias but not all).

oh, and turning the HUGE 3.3V (maybe 1000A) power supply is another story.
and i also have to do reverse-engineering for the clock generator.

But it might be possible to place FC0 on it and run on a few tens MHz anyway !

even at 1 MHz this will be a huge win, of course. remember : speed is nothing without freedom.

devik

YG