Re: (FC-Devel) Is the project still alive??? [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

> Hi Chris!
>
> Good to hear somebody on that mailing list!

I know what you mean.

> Look I am VERY interested in anything that relates to CASE tools / UML /
> free software (I think Rational is completely freeking selling a diagram
> tool for 5000.$ US NOT including the methodology!!!). Even if I can pay for
> that I will not just for the principle of it!
>
> So I would like to have some background on what you are doing at freecase
> and how it integrates with the only other project of that kind that I found
> ie ArgoUML

After we have a decent repository I'm hoping that we can persuade other
opensource projects to support it eg. by starting argo with a switch.  The
repository only covers the semantics of UML and says nothing about the
representation of the diagrams.  Argo use a W3 standard called called PGML but
this has been superceded by SVG which has very little support in argo at the
moment.

Using good UNIX philosophy, I think some tools to save and load using the XMI
format would be useful.  We could then load the repository from the files argo
produces even if they don't want to support us directly.

Then maybe some OCL or code generation?  But that is too far in the future to
think about at the moment.

> (by the way if you know other projets of that type could you pass
> me the information).

http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~kuml/
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/dia.html
http://www.htc.honeywell.com/dome/
http://homestead.dejanews.com/user.Xvenemaj/files/ClassBuilder.htm

and a host of other projects on Sourceforge, none of which seem to have got very
far either.

> I started contributing to ArgoUML but the approach they use seams a little
> bit "theoritical" so I am gatering information on the alternatives.
>
> If I could work with you on something usefull in the CASE tools / UML / free
> software sector I would be glad to do so.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jacques
>
> PS Please excuse the poor quality of my english but I'm not sure you would
> understand french!

Mais bien sur!  :)  You have done a far better job in English than I could ever
do in French.

Chris Moore