Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 19:55:57 -0500 (EST)
From: dmolnar <dmolnar@hcs.harvard.edu>
To: freehaven-dev@seul.org
Subject: Re: [freehaven-dev] Attack on timing of trades
Sender: owner-freehaven-dev@seul.org

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Ron Rivest wrote:
> I'm not sure where Silvio's paper appeared (if it has); you'll have
> to ask him...

Is this the paper you have in mind ?

M. Ben-Or, O. Goldreich, S. Micali, and R. Rivest, "A fair protocol for
signing contracts", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 36, pp.
40-46, January 1990.

If it is, I can photocopy it from the library here and bring it to the
meeting on Sunday.

That popped up in the citations index of a paper at the NEC CiteSeer
service. That index is here :

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/did/22377

It also mentions a paper due to Okamoto and Kazuo Ohta. On
inspection, this turns out to rely on a primitive for "gradual
release of secrets." The idea is that each party sends only a little
bit of the secret at each step, so it is never profitable 'enough' to
stop exchanging secrets.

What still needs investigation is whether that actually holds, and
also how much computational and communication overhead is introduced
by such a protocol. Ohta is visiting the LCS; maybe he can help if
we decide we want to pursue this.

The paper is in the 2nd ACM CCS conference. I've downloaded it from
the ACM digital library and put it on my page :
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~dmolnar/p184-okamoto.pdf

Thanks,
- -David