Re: gEDA-user: Footprints for Breadboarding

John Luciani wrote:
> I created a couple of footprints to be used to quickly add a
> breadboard area to a design.
>
> The SMD only pattern consists of a SOT23-6 (0.95P) pattern on top of a
> SOIC pattern (1.27P). The TH/SMD pattern adds a 300mil DIP pattern to
> the SMD pattern. There are two grids of 60mil square donuts on 100mil
> centers on either side of the ICs.
>
> The traces are done with overlapping pads. With a 50mil grid it is
> easy to add a couple of these patterns to a PCB.
>
> Has anybody done anything similar? How well did it work?
>
> My patterns are at
>
> http://www.luciani.org/not-quite-ready/not-quite-ready-index.html

those are pretty neat.  What I've done in the past is to put an array of
40x40 mil square pads on a 50 mil grid.  Then put some with holes down
to the ground plane around a bit.  You can solder soic, sot-23, 1206,
0603, DIP on those fairly easily.  A hot soldering iron can lift off
pads you don't want (and some you do want if you're sloppy).  As a
general rule I only need this pattern on boards where I didn't put it in.

-Dan