Re: gEDA-user: footprint critique request

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Some quick comments:
>
> Your holes are 35 mil, the spec says 59 mil
>
> Inner ring is 0.28in diam, spec says 0.30in
>
> Outer ring is 0.824-0.848in diam, spec says 0.87in.

I expected errors of this sort.

> Note: radial layouts like this really want to be done by a perl script
> or other program, which can position the pins more precisely.  Even if
> you just have it dump the pins and you add everything else manually,
> it's better than doing all those pins by hand.

Last time I fiddled with a rotary switch, all the pins fell into place on
a .1 grid.  I perused that perl script you refer to and got confused.

> Since the copper pads will be used for mechanical strength, make them
> MUCH bigger than you have.

Ah, right.

> The default location for the refdes interferes with the other silk;
> better to move it just below pins 6/7
>
> Your pin A seems to have a thermal to layer 9 pre-defined.

I'm not sure where that came from.

> You should use the Attribute() syntax to include copyright and
> authorship information in your element; regular comments will not be
> preserved in a layout.

Hmm... I just copied Cory Cross's header and swapped in my name.

> Your arcs, for some reason, have origins at various off-by-one
> coordinates.  Note that the file format *does* allow full circles;
> it's only the GUI that limits you to creating 90 degree arcs.  Create
> one arc in the GUI, and later edit the .fp file by hand to change the
> angles to "0 360".

I see.  That off-by-one might have been caused by my making circles from
arcs.  So, should I start an arc from 0 to 90 degrees (upper right
corner), then tune by hand?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx