Re: gEDA-user: Icarus Verilog building from CVS

On Aug 6, 2004, at 7:52 PM, John Sheahan wrote:
What I'm attempting to do here is fix the build process problems for for
non GCC compilers.

What sorts of gains do you hope for, adding more compilers?
- compatibility with other platforms (there are machines other than x86 boxes out there)
- compatibility with compilers whose output is much faster than GCC

Despite its popularity in the x86 world, GCC generates horrid code on most, if not all, modern RISC platforms. The vendor-supplied compilers represent a tremendous amount of in-the-know optimization and well-funded development that is specific to their processor architectures. The GCC team has been focusing on x86, to the detriment of other architectures, for years.

Now don't get me wrong...I am anti-commercial-software to the point where I don't allow most of it to touch my network. But vendor compilers, for the most part, are really Where It's At(tm) if you want any real performance out of a modern, fast processor.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL you pull the zip-tie." -Nadine Miller