Re: gEDA-user: Icarus Verilog building from CVS

On Aug 6, 2004, at 9:53 PM, John Sheahan wrote:
What sorts of gains do you hope for, adding more compilers?
- compatibility with other platforms (there are machines other than x86 boxes out there)

- compatibility with compilers whose output is much faster than GCC
-Dave

While gcc seems to do a great job of supporting multiple platforms, there does seem to be
the occasional performance question.
Yup. I believe it's really a multiplatform vs. performance tradeoff.

However, since Steve was forward-thinking enough to use the GNU autoconf system for configuration, these compiler and platform differences can be handled relatively easily. Lots of packages Just Work when you type "./configure" and don't have GCC installed. It's just a matter of getting those little compile-time issues resolved, and scrubbing the code for the nonstandard GCCisms which invariably creep into software these days.

I think the next trick will be cranking the air conditioning a little cooler and talking Joshua into attempting a port to Unicos on the Cray. Now THAT would be interesting. ;)

I for one would be interested in hearing the order of performance improvements possible
by compiler choice. In many applications verilog throuput is important.
One data point that I have involves an image processing system I wrote that grabs frames (NTSC, full-motion video) from multiple video cameras and chews on them in real time. When eating frames from 16 cameras, it eats ~48% of the CPU in a Sun Netra X1 (400MHz UltraSPARC-IIe) when compiled with GCC, and ~29% when compiled with Sun's compiler.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL you pull the zip-tie." -Nadine Miller