Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meetings at MIT starting this September!

On Monday 16 August 2004 09:18, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Sigh.  Free software has been the way of the UNIX world for decades.
> Stallman *rode* it...he didn't invent it.

Free as in what? Beer or speach? Most HW manufacturers gave the OS away with
the machine because the customer paid so much anyway. I think it was when
Amdahl started making cheap IBM lookalikes that big blue decided that they
would not give away something that could be used on cheaper hardware. It may
be that I am wrong, but name a couple of pre-Stallman names that fronted free
speach software the way he do. If they exist, they need to come out in the
great wide open.

By the way, the printer driver problem that he wanted to solve hasn't improved
much. Installing a printer on a linux machine is still the most tedious part
of getting rid of MS Windows from the desktop.
--
Svenn