Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meetings at MIT starting this September!

On Aug 21, 2004, at 11:33 AM, Al Davis wrote:
Hey the MIT sounds familiar to me - didn't the free
software revolution start there? Didn't Stallman work in
MIT AI Lab?
   Sigh.  Free software has been the way of the UNIX world
for decades.   Stallman *rode* it...he didn't invent it.
If you read his own comments, you will see that he knows that.
He was working on a project he thought was free, then the group
leader took it proprietary, in effect stealing it from him and
others in the development group.  The real intent of GPL is to
protect developers from losing their own work.

Check out history of Macsyma and Maxima for more info.
I wasn't suggesting that Stallman didn't know it. I was pointing it out because apparently some other people weren't aware of it.

"Free software" (as in beer) isn't a new thing. It's been around, thriving in HUGE volume, since long before the GPL existed and long before the term "open source" was coined.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL you pull the zip-tie." -Nadine Miller