Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 12:48:55 DJ Delorie wrote:
> > For the time being, however, I don't see any reason not to stick to
> > using some sort of external helper programs for actually accessing
> > the database, as long as we can get the UI and basic Scheme API
> > nailed down.
>
> I've argued in the past that gattrib should be responsible for
> attributes, not gschem.

This would be nice, if not for some important points:

1. gattrib is, sadly, a bit unstable, and not particularly new-user-friendly
   IMHO.

2. When designing schematics, quite often you need to shift backwards and
   forwards between attribute editing/part selection and placing/moving
   components.  You can't edit a schematic with gattrib & gschem at the same
   time, so this involves lots of time-wasting & irritating "Save, close,
   open" cycles.

3. With what you're suggesting, you can't look at the schematic & edit
   attributes at the same time without the hassle of printing the schematic
   out.

Secondly, I object strongly to the idea of using a BOM as a master document.

1. How do you cope with the designer deleting a component and then renumbering
   the ones that are left?

2. How do you do design re-use?

3. It adds even further to the bundle of files you have to send to someone,
   and which they have to artfully arrange in their filesystem, if you want to
   share your schematics with others.

                                      Peter

--
Peter Brett