Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007 12:48:55 DJ Delorie wrote:

> Secondly, I object strongly to the idea of using a BOM as a master document.
>

> 2. How do you do design re-use?
[jg]If you mean, how do you send out reusable chunks easily, you could embed
light symbols in gschem, and the heavy data would be in the BOM.  Embedding symbols
can be done without requiring them all the time though.
Requiring them all the time embedded is bloat.  I'd think of embedding symbols as part
of a script (from a GUI button or command line) that bundles up a design dir and gets all
referenced symbols embedded.  Embedding can be a no-difference-to-user option.
That is, updating symbols works the same...opening a schematic in the presence of
newer symbols of that same name would tell you about it and offer to replace your embedded ones,
do nothing, rename the symbols, or replace your library with these embedded ones until they match...

That would be plenty of warning for getting a foreign design that you need to
reconcile which symbol you want for a symbol name.  No planetwide UUIDs needed.

John G
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1